How do I access my personal benefits data?

In order to access the secure member benefits site with your personal benefits data you must register for an account on this website.

I can’t remember my username. How can I find this?

Your username was chosen at the time you registered. Click here if you forgot it.

I can’t remember my password.

You can reset your password by clicking here.

I can’t remember my security question/answer. What should I do now?

Please email with your full name and address. We will verify your account information and delete your account so that you can re-register with a new password and security question.

I’m having trouble activating my account.

Please email with your full name, DOB and address. We will verify your account information.

I’m getting an error message telling me my SSN is already in use. What should I do?

This means that you, or someone else with access to your SSN, has already created an account for you. Please email with your full name, DOB and address we will verify your information for accuracy.

I don’t see any emails from OE3 about activating my account or resetting my password. Why aren’t I receiving emails?

Please add to your contact list, and check your spam or junk mail folder to see if the emails went there.

I’m trying to access a deceased spouse/partner’s account, can you help?

Please call your local trust funds office to verify your information with them before contacting us.

California Health and Welfare

When am I eligible?

Hourly Contributions Generally, to be initially eligible, you need 360 hours reported within 3 or fewer consecutive months. You are then eligible the first of the following month and also the month after, with the balance of your hours in the bank. Example: Member has a total of 360 hours reported January, February and March. These hours will provide eligibility for April and May with 120 hours in the bank. After initial eligibility requirements are satisfied, eligibility is on a 'skip' month basis. 120 hours reported for a particular month gives eligibility for the skip month (work a month, skip a month, eligible a month). Example: 140 hours reported for April work will give June eligibility with 20 hours going to the bank. Flat Rate Contributions Employees of contributing employers reported at a flat rate, including non-bargained office employees and company officers, normally establish initial eligibility the first day of the month following three consecutive months for which contributions were received. Each flat rate contribution will provide a single month of eligibility. Note: Flat rate contributions do not normally provide an hour bank accumulation. Owner-Operators Contributions An Owner-Operator, signed to an approved Owner-Operator agreement, who is not eligible, based on payroll hours from an employer is eligible on the first day of the second month (skip month) following receipt of each payment to the Trust Fund Office. Note: Owner-Operator contributions do not provide an hour bank accumulation. Bank Hours Members establishing or reestablishing initial eligibility on or after July 1992 may bank up to 990 hours. Members with eligibility effective dates prior to July 1992 may continue to bank up to 1320 hours.

Is my family covered?

Yes, your covered dependents are your lawful spouse and dependent children. Dependent children are covered until age 26.

When can I sign up for Kaiser?

There is no specific open enrollment period. Eligible participants have the opportunity to change health plans anytime during the year. However, you must remain in the plan you select for a minimum of 12 months unless you move out of the HMO's service area. Any change in plans will be effective on the first day of the second month following the date the completed enrollment form is received by the Fund Office.

My Doctor is not in the Book. What happens if I go to him anyway?

If you are on the Comprehensive Plan you may use any doctor you choose. However, if you choose to use a non-contracting doctor, your out-of-pocket expense may be significantly higher. To maximize your benefits and reduce your out-of-pocket expense. Use contracting doctors.

What happens if I do not use a Contract Hospital?

Unless it's an emergency or you live outside the contracting area, the Fund will only pay what they would have paid to a contracting hospital. Your out-of-pocket expense will be substantial. Use contracting hospitals.

What are my Vision Care Benefits?

Vision care benefits are provided by Vision Service Plan (VSP) and include coverage for an annual eye examination and glasses. Examinations and lenses are available once in a 12 month period. Frames are available once in a 24 month period.

What happens if I do not use a VSP doctor?

If you don't use a VSP doctor, you will be subject to the same time limits and $7.50 deductible as described for VSP panel doctors and you will be reimbursed in accordance with a schedule. There is no assurance that this payment will be sufficient to cover your charges. Contact VSP for assistance in filing your claim.

Do I have to use certain dentists?

No, you may use any dentist you choose. However, by using a Delta Dental PPO dentist your benefits will be maximized.

Can I find out how much my Insurance will pay before I have my Dental work done?

Yes, you can get a predetermination from Delta Dental. Use the dental claim form for this purpose. A predetermination allows you and your dentist to know ahead of time whether the procedure(s) will be covered and, if so, the amount payable. Predetermination is recommended for procedures such as dentures, bridges, partials, crowns and implants.

Is there a maximum amount the Trust Fund will pay for Dental work?

Yes, the maximum amount payable in each calendar year is $2,500 per person. The maximum amount payable for orthodontic work is $2,500 a lifetime per person.

Who do I call to check my eligibility?

Each participant is responsible for tracking his or her eligibility. The participant can verify eligibility by calling the District Office, Fringe Benefits, or the Eligibility Department at the Trust Fund Office. The participant should always call the appropriate Trust Fund contact, as soon as possible, with questions regarding coverage or eligibility.

How do I sign up?

As soon as the Trust Fund posts the hours establishing initial eligibility, a complete packet is sent to the participant and ID cards are ordered. The packet includes the enrollment form, H&W booklet (Summary Plan Description), a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) book of contracting providers, and claim forms. ID cards are mailed separately and should be received within two weeks after receiving the packet. Note: The ID cards are not always mailed in an Operating Engineer envelope. When the packet is received, the participant should immediately complete the enclosed enrollment form and return it to the Trust Fund Office. If a participant lives in the Kaiser service area and wants Kaiser coverage, the participant must contact the Trust Fund Office for the enrollment packet.

How do I add/delete a dependent?

Complete a new dependent enrollment form, available on the Member Dashboard, and return it to the Trust Fund Office along with the appropriate documentation (marriage, birth or death certificate or divorce decree). Forms are available at the District Office, Fringe Benefits, or the Trust Fund Office.

I'm on the Comprehensive Plan how do I receive my prescriptions?

Present your OptumRx Identification Card at any participating drugstore, or use the mail order program. Review the Prescription Drug section for current benefits and copayments. If you have not received your ID cards or need additional cards, information, or forms, call the Trust Fund Office, or Fringe Benefits. (If you are covered by Kaiser, refer to the Kaiser section for more information on your prescription drug benefits).

How do I use my Vision Care Benefits?

Call any VSP doctor for an appointment and identify yourself as a VSP member. If you need help in locating a VSP panel doctor, call VSP at (800) 877-7195 or visit them on the Internet at When you call, VSP will need to know the covered employee's social security number and the name of the group plan - Operating Engineers Health & Welfare Trust Fund. You no longer need to obtain a benefit form from VSP before receiving services - just call a VSP doctor for an appointment. After you have scheduled an appointment, the VSP doctor will contact VSP to verify your eligibility and Plan coverage and obtain the proper authorization. You will pay the VSP doctor $7.50 for all covered charges and VSP will pay its portion directly to the doctor. You will be responsible for additional services and materials not covered by this Plan.

How Do I Use My Dental Plan?

The Delta Dental PPO program allows you the freedom to visit any licensed dentist, including a dentist from the Delta Dental Premier network. However, there are advantages to visiting a Delta Dental PPO dentist instead of a Premier or non-Delta Dental dentist. Your dentist may call Delta Dental to verify your eligibility. After the work is completed, the dentist will submit completed claim forms to Delta Dental for processing. You will be responsible for any deductible or coinsurance amounts. Refer to the Dental section for more information.


How do I become a participant in the plan?

You become a Participant in this Plan on the January 1 or July 1 after you work for a contributing employer for at least 500 hours during a twelve-consecutive calendar month period in a job category covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between your employer and Local Union No. 3 of the International Union of Operating Engineers (or other agreement pursuant to the Trust Agreement or Rules and Regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees).

How does working time count?

The amount of time you work in a job covered by the Plan counts in several important ways. It determines whether you are eligible for a pension and how much your pension will be. For these purposes, the time you work as a Participant of the Plan is measured in two ways-in years of Credited Service and in Pension Credits. After you become a Participant in the Plan, you receive both Credited Service and Pension Credit during the time your employer contributes to the Plan with respect to your work. This period of time is referred to as "after your contribution date" and the credit earned is called Credited Future Service or Contributory Credit. You may also receive Credited Service and Pension Credit for work performed before your contribution date. This Credited Service earned is called Credited Past Service.

What is Past and Future Service?

Past Service is a type of Credited Service that you receive when you performed work before your contribution date. Future Service is a type of Credited Service that you receive when you performed work after your contribution date.

Can I lose my service and credits?

You cannot lose your Credited Service or Pension Credits if you are vested. However, you may lose them if you are not vested and you do not work a required number of hours in a covered job for a certain number of years, thus incurring a Break in Service. A Break in Service (temporary or permanent) is determined by the Break in Service rule in effect at the time your Break occurs.

How do I earn Credited Service?

Credited Service is based on hours worked and contributions from your employer as required by the collective bargaining agreement. You need at least 1000 hours reported by your employer, per calendar year, for a full Year of Credited Service. Fractional credit may be earned if you work at least 350 hours but less than 1000 hours. Credit is currently granted as follows: 1000 or more hours, 1 year of Credited Service, 750 to 999 hours, 3/4 500 to 749 hours, 1/2 350 to 499 hours, 1/4 Less than 350 hours no credit.

If I work more than 1000 hours in a year, can I earn more than one year of Credited Service?

No, one credit in a calendar year is the most you can earn. However, if you have more than 1000 hours, the value of your credit increases.

How is the value of my credit determined?

The current formula used to determine the value of Credited Service is: HOURS REPORTED x CONTRIBUTION RATE x BENEFIT FACTOR % = BENEFIT

When am I Vested?

Effective January 1, 1998, the Plan adopted a five-year vesting schedule. To be eligible for five year vesting, a participant must have at least five pension credits without a Permanent Break-in-Service and he must work for a Contributing Employer at least one hour on or after January 1, 1997. For the period December 1, 1976 through December 31, 1997, the requirement for vesting was ten years of Credited Service, without a Permanent Break-in-Service. Different rules were in place prior to December 1976. Note: If you do not have at least one Hour of Service in Covered Employment after December 31, 1997, the 10-year requirement for the period between December 1, 1976 and January 1, 1998, will apply. A non-vested participant will lose participation if he or she fails to work the minimum required number of hours in a covered job for a certain consecutive number of years, thus incurring Breaks in Service. A Break in Service (temporary or permanent) is determined by the Break in Service rule in effect at the time your Break occurs. See Becoming Vested in About the Funds for more information.

What does Vested mean?

Generally, vested means you have earned the right to a monthly pension benefit when you are eligible to retire.

If I am not Vested, can I lose Pension Credits?

Yes, if you are not vested and you incur a Permanent-Break in-Service, you will lose the pension credits you had earned.

What are the requirements for the Rule of 85 Pension?

The Rule of 85 Pension provides for a full pension with no reduction for your age. You are eligible to receive a Rule of 85 Pension, if you meet all the following requirements: you are at least age 55; and your age plus your years of Credited Service (Pension Credits) equals at least 85; and you have at least 2000 hours paid into Local #3's Pension Fund in the 72 month period; immediately preceding your Pension Effective Date; and you have at least 350 hours paid into Local #3's Pension Fund by a Contributing Employer in one of the two Plan Years immediately preceding the Pension Effective date or during the year of the effective date. This requirement may also be satisfied if you have worked at least 350 hours for which contributions are required to be made to a Related Plan or if you are unemployed, registered under the Job Placement regulations and were available for covered employment in Local #3's jurisdiction during such period, and you have not previously received an Early Retirement Pension; and you have filed a pension application in a timely manner. Note: A maximum of ten credits may be related credits earned under a Related Plan (Local 12, 302, etc.). Related credits earned in a reciprocal Local will be calculated under Local #3's pension rules. Also, years of Credited Service earned as a result of Continuous Non-Covered Employment will be excluded.

When would I incur a Permanent Break-In-Service?

In general, you would incur a Permanent-Break in-Service when you fail to earn any Credited Service for a period of five consecutive years. There are certain exceptions, grace periods, such as limited extensions for disability. If you are out of work for any extended period of time, you should check with the Trust Fund Office to determine the effect on your pension benefits.

If I do incur a Permanent Break-In-Service, can I ever get the lost credits back?

Effective January 1, 2000, you can recapture credits lost because of one or more Permanent Breaks-in-Service. If beginning with the year 2000, you return to work in Covered Employment and earn 5 additional Years of Credit Service without a Permanent Break-in-Service your previously cancelled years of credit and benefit accrual will be reinstated. This rule does not apply to retirees whose original retirement date occurred prior to January 2000.

California Annuity

What is the Annuity Plan?

The Annuity Plan is a supplemental retirement plan. Benefits from this plan are paid in addition to the monthly pension benefit you may be entitled to from the Pension Trust Fund.

How do I become eligible for the plan?

You must work at least 350 hours in either the first 12 months of employment or the first overlapping plan year.

When are my Annuity contributions vested?

You are immediately vested for all contributions made on your behalf to the Annuity Plan.

Does the Annuity Plan have loan provisions?

Yes, the plan does include loan provisions. These provisions are also subject to the IRS guidelines.

When I do retire, how is my Annuity paid?

At retirement, you will have several options as to how your money will be paid. You may withdraw the money in a lump sum, purchase an annuity, or roll the money into an IRA. Because of tax consequences, it is recommended that you consult your financial advisor or tax person before selecting your Annuity distribution method.

How does the Annuity Plan work?

Your employer makes a pre-tax contribution on your behalf as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). This money, along with investment income, accrues on a tax-deferred basis. This means the money compounds and continues to grow without incurring taxes. Therefore, the plan's assets accumulate much faster than they could without this tax-favored status. These assets are then used to provide a higher level of retirement income than would be possible with taxed personal savings. You will not be taxed on the money until you begin distribution.

Why can I not withdraw my money at anytime?

The Annuity is a retirement plan that has a qualified status with the Internal Revenue Service that allows for the tax-favored status described in the answer to the previous question. Because annuities are intended for retirement income, the IRS places restrictions on when the money can be withdrawn.

Am I required withdraw my money at a certain time even if I do not need it?

The IRS requires that you begin distribution by April 1st of the year following the year that you turn 70 1/2.

Who can I talk to if I need additional information?

You may call the Trust Fund Office (800-251-5014 or 510-433-4422) or the Fringe Benefit Center (800-532-2105 or 510-748-7450).


Hawaii Annuity

Coming Soon...